Undergraduate students in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering are highly encouraged to pursue a research project during their studies. You will gain skills and abilities that will help you develop your interests and be attractive to future employers and graduate programs. You can:
- Contribute to the creation of new knowledge.
- Develop relationships with faculty members, research faculty, graduate students and post-doctoral researchers.
- Gain new knowledge outside of the classroom to help in the classroom.
- Improve your oral and written communication skills.
- Improve your critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Clarify your career goals and prepare for the next step after graduation.
FURI students receive a stipend of $1,500 during their funded semester(s), which will be disbursed at the end of the semester. Participants are eligible to apply for up to $400 in research supplies per funded semester. You can also explore additional funding from your faculty mentor’s grants or other sources.
How do you get started?
- Step 1: Explore your research interests.
- Step 2: Identify possible research mentors.
- Step 3: Prepare to talk with faculty.
- Step 4: Contact faculty members.
- Step 5: Make a decision.
- Step 6: Earn a FURI badge with the ASU Library: badges.lib.asu.edu/badge/furi-badge
Proposals are accepted in March and in October. Students applying in March are eligible to apply for summer, summer and fall, fall and spring semesters, or fall semester funding. Students applying in October are eligible to apply for spring funding.
Undergraduate students in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering can be funded in FURI, the beginning of their second semester of attendance at ASU until their last semester. The FURI program operates during summer, fall, and spring semesters. Students are eligible for two semesters of funding. All applicants must be undergraduate students in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering and in good academic standing (i.e. not on academic probation) to be eligible for FURI. Online students are also welcome to apply!
Contact the Fulton Student Success and Engagement office at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or if you need advice on next steps.